Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Why I don't sleep at night

The garden, which is taking on a life of its own, calls me from sleep. It reminds me that I need to water, weed, fertilize, and fret over it just a little more.

The Farmers Market also wakes me from slumber, playing on my fears of not having enough produce, too much produce, how to politely explain why a customer should buy local. The Farmers Market on Saturday was not so great - - it was pouring rain and 50 degrees. We crowded 17 vendors and live entertainment into a 20' x 40' tent. Had a few people come into the tent . . . just to get out of the rain. Not our best showing. The vintage linens are a bomb this season! One of the vendors actually shipped in crates and boxes of organic produce and flowers from California and South America for this Market and she totally bombed.

The old farmhouse, which I adore, creaks & moans with the wind and I wonder how long the shingles will stay on, if the downspouts will stay put and redirect the rain away from the house.

All the crafty ideas that float around in my head - - the how-to's of the Tara Whitney's and Alie Edwards of the world.

How to protect my daughter's sensitive ears from all the swimming she does these days.

How my darling husband will manage to take care of himself while he is away from home on a bridge crew. We finally decided that commuting 1000 miles a week was just not a good idea, so he is staying in a motel near his job site.

My dear friend, Jenn, who is about to give birth to twin boys - - how is she holding up and how can I encourage her.

When I do finally manage to fall asleep, I still dream about these things . . . and a about dead chickens. Honestly, I'm not morose, but these are the things that consume me day and night.

Alie Edwards just started a new blog "What is your happiness today." I think I'll go there and re-direct my thoughts.

Photos of the garden this morning:
The chickens are very fond of the lettuce, so I had to put bird netting over it. We harvested our first turnips and peas on Sunday.
The strawberries are plentiful - - small, but sweet. I'm so glad I did successive plantings of the radishes; they're doing great!The seven varieties of green beans are coming along well, as are the four varieties of cucumber. The four varieties of potatoes were succession planted; the Pontiacs are small and some can be harvested. The "sticks" you see on the left side of the garden are the oak and hackberry trees we planted earlier this spring and they doing great. The other sticks you see between the hardwood trees and the pines are markers for the pumpkins, muskmelon, watermelon, butternut squash, and acorn squash (yum)!

Eat Local Challenge update: Sunday night, we had a ham from a neighbor's hog, peas, mashed potatoes & turnips, lettuce salad with garlic chives, jello with strawberries. Everything but the potatoes and jello were grown right here - - what a great feeling!

No comments: