Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Country Girl's Creed

by Jessie Field Shambaugh

I am glad I live in the country. I love its beauty and its spirit. I rejoice in the things I can do as a country girl for my home and my neighborhood.

I believe I can share in the beauty around me – in the fragrance of the orchards in the spring, in the bending wheat at harvest time, in the morning song of the birds, and in the glow of the sunset on the far horizon. I want to express this beauty in my own life as naturally and happily as the wild rose blooms by the road side.

I believe I can have a part in the courageous spirit of the country. This spirit has entered into the brook in our pasture. The stones placed in its way call forth its strength and add to its strength a song. It dwells in the tender plants as they burst the seedcases that imprison them and push past the dark earth to the light. It sounds in the nesting notes of the meadow lark. With this courageous spirit I too can face the hard things of life with gladness.

I believe there is much I can do in my country home. Through studying the best way to do my everyday work I can find joy in the common tasks done well. Through loving comradeship I can help bring into my home the happiness and peace that are always so near us in God’s out-of-door world. Through such a home I can help make real to all who pass that way their highest ideal of country life.

I believe my love and loyalty for my country home should reach out in service to that larger home that we call our neighborhood. I would join with the people who live there in true friendliness. I would whole-heartedly give my best to further all that is being done for a better community. I would have all that I think and say and do help to unite country people near and far in that great Kingdom of Love for Neighbors which the master came to establish – the Master who knew and cared for country ways and country folk.

Still life gourds under the dogwood bush:
Winter storage:

Beautiful boy (Tiger):

No comments: